FAQ About Renting a Student House Plymouth

If you have any questions regarding renting a student house with Student Rooms 4 U, please read on for information on our Frequently Asked Questions.

Preparation – Student House Plymouth

When should I book my student accommodation?

Try to book as soon as possible – great properties in top locations get booked fast. Student house prices for the next academic year are released in late Sept, early October. Booking a year in advance might seem like overkill, but you’d be wise to get in early.

Booking early means you have more choice of reasonably priced properties before they all fill up. Some landlords offer incentives to book before Christmas. If you have a firm group of friends whom you know you would like to live with a year hence, then it makes sense to act quickly. However, if you aren’t sure who you want to live with, take your time to decide so you don’t commit yourself too early – a lot can change in a year.

After Christmas, exams start and life becomes more complicated juggling revision and viewings, so if you can get it sorted before the Christmas holidays, it will make your life much easier. If you haven’t secured a rental by February, you’ll need to make it a priority!

How do I book a house viewing?

Once you’ve found a property you’d like to view, or would like further information about what properties we have in touch, the best thing to do is to get in touch directly. Do this as early as possible to avoid missing out. You can book a viewing by calling 01752 849232 or emailing us at [email protected] Rooms 4 U.co.uk

How many properties can I view at once?

If there are several properties you’re interested in, please do arrange to see them together in the same day. All our properties are very close to each other so we can usually walk between them. We don’t usually show more than four houses per viewing.

Can I bring my own furniture?

Yes, you can, as long as you take it back again when you leave! We encourage renters to make the space their own, so think about what you can bring with you from home.

Paperwork – Student House Plymouth

Do I have to comply with the Right to Rent Legislation?

Yes, you do need to comply. The Home Office imposed new legislation on Landlords in February 2016 called ‘Right to Rent’. Unfortunately, you will not be able to commence your tenancy with us until we have seen the originals and received a copy of the necessary documents. Please be aware that this legislation also means that only you can collect your key.

What agreements do I need to sign for a student house Plymouth?

You will need to complete and sign a booking form for your student house Plymouth when you pay your reservation fee and you will also need to sign your contract when its emailed to you.

Do I need a guarantor for a student house Plymouth?

No, tenants don’t need a guarantor with Student Rooms 4 U. This is what makes us an attractive choice compared to our competitors.

Do you do credit checks?

No, we don’t.

Do I have to pay Council tax for a student house Plymouth?

If you’re a student in full time education (21 hours or more a week) then you are exempt from council tax. You will need to ensure that this exemption is recognised by Plymouth City Council and should check with them that your status is correct. Your contractual agreement with us passes the onus of any council tax issue to you. If you cease to qualify for the student exemption (if you are no longer a full-time student) you will become personally liable for the whole amount of any council tax bill and this will fall on the whole property, not just your room. For example, in a 15-bedroom property this will amount to a lot of money, so make sure you don’t end up in that situation. For more information about council tax for students follow this link to the Government website www.direct.gov.uk.

The Tenancy – Student House Plymouth

How long will my contract be for?

It’s a 48-week contract for all our house shares for 2019/20. (With the exception of 5 Marlborough Rd, where the contract is for 43 weeks).

For our apartments (including 56 North St), tenants have the choice of a 48- or 50-week contract. Please note that all tenants living in the same apartment, must have the same length contract.

New apartments at 18 Queen Anne Terrace will have a contract term of 46-weeks.

Can I move out of my student accommodation before the end of my tenancy?

You can move out whenever you like, but you still have to pay the rent until the end of your tenancy! You are legally bound until the end of your tenancy. If for some reason you have to leave early, we will be happy to help you try and re-let your room, but you will have to pay the rent up to the day a new tenant moves in. We also make a small charge to cover our costs in preparing the tenancy agreement for the new tenant, checking the inventory and other essential administration that is caused by your early departure.

If I go on a placement during term time, do I still have to pay rent?

Yes, you do.

Can I store my belongings over the summer?

Yes, but only if you are staying in the same room in the same property. We charge a £50.00 fee to enable you to leave some of your possessions in your large, built in wardrobe. You will be leaving this at your own risk and we strongly advise that you do not leave valuables. Most people purchase a padlock and chain to secure the wardrobe doors closed. This arrangement will need to be made in agreement with ourselves and the payment will need to be made before the end of your current contract.

Can I rent student accommodation from you for more than one year?

Yes, you’re more than welcome to continue renting at the same property or to move to another of our properties. Let us know in good time if this is your intention.

The Property – Student House Plymouth

What is provided in the property?

Every bedroom has a double bed and a mattress protector, a large (usually built in) wardrobe, a desk and a chair.

In the kitchen we provide an oven, hob, fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer (or a washer/dryer in some smaller properties), and some properties have a dishwasher. We also provide a communal vacuum cleaner, bin, broom, brush and dustpan and mop and bucket.

In the lounge/dining area we provide a sofa, coffee table and/or dining table and chairs. The property will also include some soft furnishing such as cushions, and decoration such as potted plants and artwork, which differ between properties.

Is the internet included?

All of our shared houses for the 2019/20 have internet included in the rental amount (but not the apartments).  In the three larger properties (15 bedrooms), we have also hardwired the internet connections to each study bedroom so that you don’t experience connection issues through Wi-Fi failure, which is common in other large student properties.

Is there anywhere I can park my car?

Some of our properties qualify for residential parking permits which can be purchased from Plymouth City council for £30.00. Please follow the link to see which areas qualify and how the application process works.

For those properties that do not qualify, we own two private, off road car parks where you can purchase an allocated space at £350, which lasts for the duration of your tenancy. These car parks are located at 25 Addison Road and Bedford Terrace behind two of our larger blocks of student properties. You would need to pay the balance of £350 in full before we allocate you a space in the car park. (Many of our tenants do this at the time that they return their Tenancy Agreements to us).  We allocate spaces on a first paid, first allocated basis.

Do I need a TV licence for a Student House Plymouth? 

Yes, you do. Most students have a TV in the communal area and split the cost. Because you have individual contracts (for which there are many benefits for you) each bedroom is treated almost as separate units. As such, if you choose to have a TV in your bedroom, you will need to buy individual TV licences. Please note that in quite a few of our properties we provide a flat screen TV and pay for the licence in the communal area where the TV sits. You will see this listed on our website. If unsure, please ask. Please be aware that even if we provide a TV in the communal area and pay for the licence, if you want a TV in your bedroom you STILL need to purchase a separate licence.

Will I be informed if my housemates and I are near our weekly £10 allowance for gas, electric and water, or will we just be charged?

Yes, we will always warn you in advance if you’re nearing your usage allowance. We will also suggest ways in which you can save energy and reduce your costs.

My partner and I want to share a room, is this allowed?

We have a few rooms where we are happy for couples to share which we can tell you about on request but as a rule, no. We do have one- and two-bedroom apartments which are perfect for couples sharing.

Are pets allowed in your student accommodation?

Unfortunately, not.

What happens if something in the property stops working?

Because we own all properties directly, we have a mutual interest in ensuring any maintenance issues are dealt with quickly and effectively. Any issue can be reported to the office in working hours, or on our emergency number out of hours.

Our Maintenance Manager will attend to the issues or will call in one of our contractors with whom we have built up a great working relationship with over the years. Because we also run a building company www.sunnybankshomes.co.uk we have a team of directly employed, skilled staff on hand to ensure all repairs are addressed promptly. Our quick response on maintenance issues is one of the elements that sets us aside from agents who have to go through a third party to authorise any repairs.

Feel free to speak to our current tenants when you view any of our properties if you would like confirmation of this.  Please do be aware however, that when you report a maintenance issue, you are effectively giving Student Rooms 4 U permission to enter your property to fix this fault, even if you are not present at the time.

Does your student accommodation have fire detection systems?

We use a company called Firewatch to check and maintain all our fire protection systems in all our properties. They carry out 6 monthly and annual maintenance checks and services in all properties where required. Firewatch are a long established and extremely well-respected company covering all of the south west.

All of our student accommodation complies with the standards required by Plymouth City Council and Plymouth University. At the very least every student property has mains powered and interconnected smoke detectors on each floor and a heat detector in the kitchen.  Some properties have full fire alarm systems where required. All properties have a fire blanket in the kitchen and fire extinguishers on every floor. Where appropriate in each property we also have an emergency light system lighting your escape route.

Finally, we also conduct annual risk assessments of all properties as required by law.

Please contact us for all your student accommodation needs in Plymouth. Call our friendly team on 01752 849232 or visit our website at https://www.studentrooms4u.co.uk/